For those of you who follow my Facebook page, you’ve probably seen a couple of posts about my newfound love of yoga. I found this app called Asana Rebel which I’m pretty obsessed with. A few years ago, I had started getting into yoga but got discouraged because I wasn’t sure I was doing the moves right and I didn’t have much structure. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I do now with this app. So, since I’ve been having so much fun with it, I figured I’d do a 1-month yoga challenge. Let’s see if we can get some participation!
I just want to throw out a quick disclaimer in case you didn’t read the title of this post: I AM A NOOB. I have limited flexibility, I am very out of shape, and I still can’t do most basic poses correctly (I love the way the Rockstar pose looks in the videos/pics… but I lose my balance every freaking time). So if you’ve never done yoga before or don’t think you’re very good then join the club. This is the challenge for you.
Why am I so in love with yoga?
I’ve never been a huge fan of working out and have gained quite a bit of weight over the last couple of years. Working in banking, you spend a lot of time in a chair in front of your computer. That coupled with my dislike of most workouts and most cardio led to my…. fluffier body LOL. I’m not proud folks.
I’ve heard people say before that “yoga isn’t real exercise.” Obviously, they haven’t tried it. Every single time I do yoga, I work up a sweat even after just 30 minutes. It’s not just stretching and breathing like some people seem to think. When you do the poses correctly, you’re using your own body weight to work out the targeted muscles. It’s something that I actually enjoy a lot!
Aside from the workout aspect of it, yoga really does wonders for your mental state. Regardless of how hard I had to work to complete my workout, I always end up feeling refreshed and awake. I started incorporating my yoga into my morning routine (which you can read about here) and it has really boosted my productivity throughout the day. I’ve been able to accomplish a lot more and have maintained a better attitude as well. I wanted to keep this positive energy going which is why I wanted to do this 1-month yoga challenge 🙂
So, what does this 1-month yoga challenge look like?
Like I said, I’m a yoga noob. This challenge is not going to be difficult or very specific, so if you’re more experienced, this probably isn’t what you’re looking for. You’re more than welcome to participate though! The more the better.
It’s pretty simple:
- Identify at least 1 resource that you will use for your workouts. I use the Asana Rebel App and it takes care of everything I want including calories burned, but there are a ton of other resources. I’ll find a few to include at the end of this post.
- Set a realistic workout schedule. If you’re a noob like me, I recommend 3 days for sure. You can always add more exercises throughout the week, which is what I plan on doing.
- Take it easy on yourself. Life happens people! If you need to rearrange or shorten your schedule, then do it. Find whatever is going to work for you. This challenge is meant to be good for both your mind and body 🙂
- Share, share, share! Share your progress here or through any of our social media sites (If you’re not already, you can follow through one of the links to the right!). I want to hear about your struggles and your successes! Or, just let me know that you’re participating.
- Have fun!
Told you it was simple.
A few resources you can use!
- Asana Rebel My personal favorite
- Youtube: Yoga With Adriene She has quite a few followers and tons of videos for any level
- Youtube: Boho Beautiful She also has a lot of videos
- Yoga Journal Articles for different poses and tips
You will get as much as you put into this 1-month yoga challenge. I really hope you participate and have some fun! One of the rules of this challenge is to share! Drop a note in the comment section below or follow us on social media and share there!
Are you a yoga noob? What’s your favorite pose?